Compensation Claims

When you have been hurt in an accident, you can submit a compensation claim for personal injury. However, you do have to prove that your injury was the result of someone else’s negligence. You have to obtain the services of a lawyer, who will then submit your claim to this third party or their lawyers. There are various types of accidents that are covered, such as accidents at work where the employee didn’t provide adequate training or take safety into consideration, car accidents that were the fault of another driver, sports injuries or health related injuries.

It is important to make your claim as soon as possible after your accident or as soon as you feel able to do so. In most cases, your lawyer will visit you in the hospital rather than have you try to come into the office. You will have to provide details of the location where the accident occurred, the weather conditions at the time of the accident, if applicable, and anything else you can remember about the incident. When you do this right after the accident, you are better able to remember the details.

There is a three-year limitation period on compensation claims. This allows you to make claims for injuries that may not have been evident at the time of the accident when your doctor ascertains that further problems were the direct result of the accident. If you wait longer than the three-year period, you will not be allowed to submit a claim for compensation. The only time when this three-year period may be waived involve patients who suffer from a mental disability of for those who were under 18 years of age at the time of the accident.

For compensation claims of personal injury, you do not have to pay any monies up front to the lawyer. The lawyer collects the fees from the settlement you obtain when the employee or third party pays the compensation. The fees also include the administrative costs of filing all applications and paperwork. The amount of compensation you receive depends on the extent of your injuries and how long it takes you to recover. If you have injuries that impair you from working, you will receive a higher amount of money than if you were just off work for a few weeks.